In The Press
Sri Lanka's Prime Minister shows green light for port city after long haul back
Sri Lanka's Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe today said the country plans to have a 'unique financial and business district' in Colombo when the sea reclamation project by a Chinese firm is resumed.
"Hopefully if the Port City projects get underway, I think there will be some sort of landfill there that could have the makings of a special financial and business district which will be a unique one in South Asia," Wickremesinghe told a gathering celebrating 30-years of the formal establishment of the Colombo Stock Exchange.
Sri Lanka's much talked Chinese port city project was under water for a long period of time as the new administration has questioned project approvals by the last regime.
The builders of Sri Lanka's Chinese-funded port city project told LBO in an earlier interview that discussions are ongoing and they await a positive reply from the government after the suspension of work citing environment concerns by the new administration which came in to power in January.
The 1.4 billion US dollar Chinese Port City was to be constructed between the Southern edge of the new Colombo South Port and the Fort Lighthouse.
The total area of sea to be reclaimed is 252 hectares.
The Minister for Megapolis Champika Ranawaka also told LBO in an earlier interview that a port city is included in the Megapolis design, in close proximity to the China Port City, and plans would be harmonized.
- Ranil determined despite looming external shocks
- Taking a break
- Port City facilitates workshop to improve fisher folk’s income
- Fast-changing Colombo landscape
- Science is the best outpost for attack or defense Port City Project
- MPs on inspection tour of Port City site and dredger
- Extra land for public use
- Parliament approves several orders under Strategic Development Projects Act:To grant tax exemptions to Port City Project
- New Laws for Port City – Malik Samarawickrama
- Economists, Experts Air Their Views : Port City Project
- Colombo Financial City Project: NO IMPACT ON FISHERIES INDUSTRY: NARA
- Marine life not affected by Port City Project
- Colombo Int’l Financial City work in progress
- Tax exemptions for CHEC Port City project
- Prime Minister endorses Port City
- Mark Mobius shares his mantra for Sri Lanka
- SL contemplates standby agreement with IMF-PM
- Western Region Megapolis Plan to be unveiled in Jan 2016
- Sri Lanka's Prime Minister shows green light for port city after long haul back
- Port City To Be Expanded
- Port city project will resume under new agreement
- China, India and Hong Kong top investors in Sri Lankan real estate- Lamudi