In The Press
Colombo Financial City Project: NO IMPACT ON FISHERIES INDUSTRY: NARA
In Western, North Western, Southern Provinces
The National Aquatic Resources Research and Development Agency (NARA) yesterday reassured that the construction work on the Colombo Financial City in the sea off Galle Face Green has had no impact on the fisheries industry or on fisheries activities in the Western, North Western or Southern Provinces.
NARA on the directive of Fisheries and Acquatic Resources Minister Mahinda Amaraweera conducted a comprehensive investigation to ascertain as to whether the ongoing construction work on the Colombo Financial City would affect the fisheries industry. Minister Amaraweera had ordered NARA to initiate a full investigation after allegations were levelled from many quarters that the fisheries industry in the three provinces would be affected as a result of the ongoing construction in the sea off Galle Face promenade.
The investigation conducted by NARA through Sonar technology yesterday, confirmed that the construction has had no impact on the fisheries industry.
The Institute in its investigation report has outlined that sand required for the reclamation of land is mined from a location in the sea which is 10 kilometers off the land.
The report has rejected the allegations made by fisher folk that marine resources in the area where the sand mining is taking place for the project are being destroyed.The report was presented to Fisheries and Acquatic Resources Minister Mahinda Amaraweera yesterday.
However, a Rs.500 million fund has been allocated through this project for the uplift of fishermen’s living standards. Arrangements are being made to utilise these funds for the provision of facilities to the fisheries folk through 57 fishing societies.
Fisheries and Aquatic Resources Minister Mahinda Amaraweera said after accepting the NARA report that a constant dialogue between the authorities and the fisheries communities is essential to make the Colombo Financial City project a success.
- Ranil determined despite looming external shocks
- Taking a break
- Port City facilitates workshop to improve fisher folk’s income
- Fast-changing Colombo landscape
- Science is the best outpost for attack or defense Port City Project
- MPs on inspection tour of Port City site and dredger
- Extra land for public use
- Parliament approves several orders under Strategic Development Projects Act:To grant tax exemptions to Port City Project
- New Laws for Port City – Malik Samarawickrama
- Economists, Experts Air Their Views : Port City Project
- Colombo Financial City Project: NO IMPACT ON FISHERIES INDUSTRY: NARA
- Marine life not affected by Port City Project
- Colombo Int’l Financial City work in progress
- Tax exemptions for CHEC Port City project
- Prime Minister endorses Port City
- Mark Mobius shares his mantra for Sri Lanka
- SL contemplates standby agreement with IMF-PM
- Western Region Megapolis Plan to be unveiled in Jan 2016
- Sri Lanka's Prime Minister shows green light for port city after long haul back
- Port City To Be Expanded
- Port city project will resume under new agreement
- China, India and Hong Kong top investors in Sri Lankan real estate- Lamudi