In The Press
Port City facilitates workshop to improve fisher folk’s income
A special training workshop was held by the Fishermen Livelihood Support Society at the St. Mary’s Church hall in Negombo to improve the earning capacity of fisher folk in the area.
This is in line with the grant of Rs.2 million by the Port City project to village-level fishery associations in the Negombo zone to help develop and improve the lifestyles of fisher families.
The workshop, which was spearheaded by Rev. Clement Rozairo, Parish Priest of St. Mary’s, had representatives from 10 fishery associations participating.
A total of Rs.500 million has been granted via the Fishermen Livelihood Support Society, which operates under the Fisheries and Aquatic Resource Development Ministry and Megapolis and Western Development Ministry. The Rs.2 million grant will be given to registered fishery associations in the Negombo zone under the Fisheries Department. The workshop was held to kick off the main programs to develop the fishing community and improve their public facilities with the grant. Sanasa Chief Operations Officer L.B Abeysinghe addressed the workshop on the proper administration and management of the Rs.2 million by the fishery associations.Fisheries and Water Resources Ministry Former Secretary and Fishermen Livelihood Support Society President G. Piyasena, Project Manager Ranjan Fonseka, Operations Manager S.H.G. Fernando and Gampaha District Director Fishery Affairs H.M.W. Rajith Bandara also participated in the workshop.
- Ranil determined despite looming external shocks
- Taking a break
- Port City facilitates workshop to improve fisher folk’s income
- Fast-changing Colombo landscape
- Science is the best outpost for attack or defense Port City Project
- MPs on inspection tour of Port City site and dredger
- Extra land for public use
- Parliament approves several orders under Strategic Development Projects Act:To grant tax exemptions to Port City Project
- New Laws for Port City – Malik Samarawickrama
- Economists, Experts Air Their Views : Port City Project
- Colombo Financial City Project: NO IMPACT ON FISHERIES INDUSTRY: NARA
- Marine life not affected by Port City Project
- Colombo Int’l Financial City work in progress
- Tax exemptions for CHEC Port City project
- Prime Minister endorses Port City
- Mark Mobius shares his mantra for Sri Lanka
- SL contemplates standby agreement with IMF-PM
- Western Region Megapolis Plan to be unveiled in Jan 2016
- Sri Lanka's Prime Minister shows green light for port city after long haul back
- Port City To Be Expanded
- Port city project will resume under new agreement
- China, India and Hong Kong top investors in Sri Lankan real estate- Lamudi